Saturday, July 10, 2010

In my Father's Footsteps

June 24 & 25
My favorite experience was in Western Nebraska. I knew my Dad had been in the CCC near Crawford and talked to a ranger at Scottbluff about where they were and what they did. He said Fort Robinson was where most CCCers in the area started. When we went to Chimney Rock nearby I saw a book in the bookstore about the Fort. There was a chapter on the CCC with pictures and I swear one had my Dad in it. (on the right with hat)
So I got the information on the book and picture and set off on an investigation. I called the Fort Robinson museum curator and left a message about my quest. The next day we went to the Fort & Museum & met with him. How fun. He had tons of information on Dads regiment. Then we found a picture and the roster attached had Dad's signature on it. Very exciting when we found him in the picture.
(Second from right, top row showing)

He will be so excited to know he is in a museum. The curator made a copy for me and John took a photograph of the picture in the Museum display. The barracks that Dad was in was still there and the picture was taken in front of it so off we went. John took a picture of me standing in the same spot that Dad stood in the picture.



Then we went upstairs to the big hall where they all slept. It was a great day. It was shortly before my Dad's 94th birthday and my gift to him will be a copy of the book and pictures. I plan to call and tell him the whole story. Pretty cool huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment